Mar 23, 2012

Daily Linux Distro

I have been working for shipping company, the company dealing in owning, operating ship and also having agency department to server ship agency service. My hobby is dealing with open source software, and focused on linux personal computer machine, since I did not deal with "server" , "robot", "main frame machine" or other kind of machine. I used personal computer merely to support my work and now my hobby :D
At first time in touch with linux I got RedHat (4) and shortly falling in love with Mandrake. I tried slackware, debian and gentoo. Finally in love with gentoo. Ubuntu born in 2004 but I got in touch with ubuntu on the end of 2005 and loved it a lot. Since then ubuntu GNU/Linux is my daily distro for work and fun on desktop, meanwhile for laptop I prefer gentoo. I used ThinkPad T61 (Lenovo T61) 2007 edition. This is legendary LapTop ... why (?) coz this edition is LAST edition with "IBM ThinkPad" logo along with Lenovo Logo. The laptop "die" in 2010 and let it lay on the drawer. I trade the Motherboard ... but can not find equal one, so I toke T61 with intel VGA Chipset, mine is Nvidia Quadro VGA chipset ... well I prefer Nvidia than Intel for VGA. My T61 is alive ...
This is the basic specification
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz
wifi : Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron]
ethernet : Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection
VGA : Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II
SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
RAM : 4 GB

Pick Up a Linux Distro
I put ubuntu amd64 alive ... and well prepared partition for having gentoo amd64 reside. But never find good time to install my favourite distri : GENTOO !!! and last week I have sufficient time to do. Picked up stage3 tarball as i dont have time to deal with stage1 or stage2 :). This is my parition lay out
/dev/sda1 ext3 60 GB for gentoo
/dev/sda2 ext3 10 GB for ubuntu
/dev/sda5 ext4 229.5 GB for home data
/dev/sda6 swap 528 MB for swap space

My setting is no need big swap space for suspend mode. I set suspend to RAM only ... Not to Disk. Today RAM having sufficient size for tackling a lot of thing. Installation went well for basic set up. I did everything including gnome-light in chroot environment
Ubuntu Grub2 smoothly picked up Gentoo and booting on X smoothly, with basic saoftware installed
- Basic Gentoo amd64 system prebuilt profile amd64/10.0/gnome
- Libreoffice 3.4.5
- Gimp 2.6.11
- Inkcape 0.48
- Shotwell 0.11.6
- Evince 2.32
- Firefox 10.0.1
- Brasero 2.32.1
- Gedit 2.30.4
- Gnome 2.32.1 light
- Gnome Terminal 2.32.1
- GDM 2.20
- Xorg-server 1.11


WHAT IS PROBLEM ...? sun-jdk1.6.0.31 32 bit .... YESSS this package make some hazle to be well operated. Thus all my android rom source tree is NOT usable so far.
I need to take a look and find out how to install sun-jdk 32 bit on gentoo amd64 system with proper functionality for android development.
After some googling and discuss with friends, in fact android rom build is accepted 64 bit java in 64 bit operating system. I discharge 32 bit sun-jdk and install only 64 bit sun-jdk 1.6.0.31, appoint the java library to this 64 bit version and everything went well.
Have nice weekend.......

Real Multilib Userland on Linux

Read multilib requirement on Android rom building and other stuff. About two years absent from getting rid with android rom. I have time to...