Apr 20, 2020

A Week with Arch Linux

In the hot time of global issue on Covid19 outbreak, staying longer at sweet home. Clean up the garage and found considering old PC, OAX ROW XU1 Mobo, Powered by AMD Phenom (tm) II X2 550 CPU, Hook up PCIe VGA AMD 6617 with HDMI Interface, powered by HD 7000 Audio. 4 slot DDR3 Physical RAM, seated 4 x 4GB. Realtek 8168 NIC will be the gate to connect Internet, provided by Interkoneksi Media. With some free HDD, made many choice to try some linux distros. I have never installing Arch Linux before, so this is good time to give a try. Searching ( Not Googling) since I use StartPage search engine. Found very intuitive guide to install Arch Linux. I have Debian 10.3 running on a disk, so I just need pick another disk up and start poking Arch Linux.

Installation
Challange level to install Arch Linux is "Medium", with great intuitive guide by their community, installation considering as easy. For sure, do not comparing to install Debian or Ubuntu which and really point and click, next and next and your box up.
Intalling Arch Linux, required basic understanding related to Linux Desktop in general. Some configuration have to be tweak manually. Overall, Arch Linux is great distro with amazing repositories globally. Pacman package manager running very fast, it is better than popular "apt (get)". I myself, not really familiar with this pacman. Software packet colections also very good. I can find almost everything.
Rolling Release
I do like rolling release, in this case I have been searching a linux distro for little development of ERPNext. On default repositories I got
Python 3.8 well, python is not really problem since we can create certain environment
Mariadb 10.4 I wish to use Mariadb 10.2 I don't know how to downgrade.
Nodejs 13.x well, I wish to have nodejs 12.x
This default Arch Linux applications provided is Too New for me. It's not about good or bad, merely about flavour and requirements. I believed, Arch Linux dev have very good measure related to stable versions, at least I believed they do very good stabilizing.
Since this is first touch with Arch Linux, I don't know how to downgrade the package, how to tweak them to meet with my need. Anyhow, tested by installing ERPNext in virtual environment, the beast running well smooth.

I have to familiarize myswlf with Arch Linux and for sure going to keep her live in the disk.
End Of Post

Real Multilib Userland on Linux

Read multilib requirement on Android rom building and other stuff. About two years absent from getting rid with android rom. I have time to...